Odyssey of the Mind
2021-2022 Information Coming Soon!
Odyssey of the Mind is the nation’s oldest creative problem-solving competition for students. Kids develop the ability to work as part of a team, learn to think outside of the box, and have fun when solving one of the 5 problems offered. Whether your student is an actress, singer, mechanic, writer or just creative, Odyssey has a problem for him to solve! And, the best part of the process, is that kids get to solve the problem with JUST their team – no parent assistance allowed!
This year, the competition in California will be ALL virtual. Teams will be able to solve a problem the same as in the past, BUT will be able to video the solution for submission. Competition will be the same – a regional tournament in February followed by the state tournament in early April. But, all submissions and paperwork will be submitted ONLINE. If a team should advance to the World Finals in early June at Iowa State University, the team will have the option of attending the tournament in person.
The five types of problems are:
- Vehicle – must build a vehicle that can perform specific tasks
- Technical – must involve specific technical elements to complete tasks
- Classic – create a performance centered around classic art, music or writing
- Structure – build a structure out of balsa wood and glue to hold as much weight as possible
- Theatrical – create a performance that will stretch the limits of imagination
Charlotte Wood is hoping to put together teams to compete in one or all of these problems. But, we need COACHES. Parent coaches will be given all of the tools and information to be successful! Katherine Loberg, Assistance Association Director for Northern California Odyssey of the Mind will mentor parent coaches and support in every manner possible!
Also, feel free to visit the following websites to gather more information: